By the grace of God, prepare the way for your heart
to love His glory and truly live--to His praise.


Saturday, July 14, 2012

'Psalms for the poor?'




‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.’
—Matthew 5:3


 I believe this particular statement Jesus made as much as any. Poor in spirit? Spiritually impoverished. Spiritually flat broke. Bankrupt.

When Jesus saw the crowds and sat down to teach them, He saw me. And He saw you.

Crazy, isn’t it, how He saw us, from almost 2,000 years ago, from halfway around the world? I have no doubt His sermon on the mount was directed right there. At us. Apparently, His vision knew no limits. He was able to perceive, with amazing clarity, the spiritual ineptitude each of us knows so well. And perhaps crazier, in the face of such a sight He unhesitatingly offered that promise: that ours would be the kingdom of heaven.

Truly, it’s the most poignant picture of grace: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us, forever securing our place in the kingdom of heaven.

Grace. It’s a word tossed around in church, amongst those who affiliate with a ‘religious’ circle. No doubt one need not stray far from a Sunday pulpit to hear of it, but even then, taking it in, on a personal level, is as simple as getting real with God. It’s me, and you, being honest about the wrath we know we deserve, and yet, without fail, escape entirely by the blood of the Lamb. We can be, and stay, caught in its unrelenting grip, so long as we bank on it wholly, by His gift of faith.

Like broken beggars, sitting roadside in our tattered rags, we are, time and again, afforded the opportunity to effectually plead with our King, as did David before us: ‘Psalms for the poor, good Lord, Psalms for the poor?’


Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,

according to your steadfast love;

according to your abundant mercy

blot out my transgressions.

Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

and cleanse me from my sin!

For I know my transgressions,

and my sin is ever before me.

Against you, you only, have I sinned

and done what is evil in your sight,

so that you may be justified in your words

and blameless in your judgment.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,

and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,

and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Let me hear joy and gladness;

let the bones that you have broken rejoice.

Hide your face from my sins,

and blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,

and renew a right spirit within me.

Cast me not away from your presence,

and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation,

and uphold me with a willing spirit.


To the world, poverty is the surest sign of weakness—the epitome of helpless dependence, that which is to be pitied above all. But to Jesus, it couldn’t be more different. To Him, it’s the foolproof recipe for redemption.

Read the Psalm again. It says according to His great mercy, well-deserved wrath is lifted. According to His longsuffering love, all sin is wiped away, transforming our tattered rags into majestic robes.

I bank on this Psalm, I do, even as I write. And in so doing I get real with God about my destitution, to realize my blood-bought restitution.

Would you too?

Let go of the façade of self-sufficiency and fully embrace His matchless grace—both for the sake of your salvation and His glorification.

And then, and really only then, respond with David, in-kind:



Lord,

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,

and sinners will return to you.

Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,

O God of my salvation,

and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips,

and my mouth will declare your praise.



Father in heaven, I have sinned against You, and You alone. I lay prostrate before You—guilty, broken, and utterly poor. LORD, according to the riches of Your mercy, forgive me, forgive my striving, my futile attempts to earn righteousness, and grant me the humility to fall hopelessly into the arms of Your saving grace. I pray this, Father, in Your Name, and for the sake of Your Renown, Amen.


Grace to you, to plead, with me, 'Psalms for the poor?'

Voice of another



No comments:

Post a Comment